When you vape, most of what you inhale is a mix of propylene glycol and vegetable glycerine. PG and VG are the primary components of any e-liquid. They’re the liquids that create the clouds you see. They dilute the nicotine in an e-liquid. They also emulsify the ingredients and prevent you from needing to shake your bottles constantly to keep them mixed. Here at Euro Vape, we carry e-liquid optimized for use in our eGo e-cigarette kits. You can buy your e-liquid here knowing that it will work in your device. If you visit a local vape shop, though, you’ll see percentages and ratios explaining the amount of PG and VG in that shop’s e-liquids – and some of those e-liquids will not work well in your eGo e-cigarette. We’ll explain why.
What Are Propylene Glycol and Vegetable Glycerine?PG and VG are common additives in foods, cosmetics and other products. Both are considered non-toxic and safe to eat. PG and VG both retain moisture, so they help to keep shelf-stable foods from going stale. They also emulsify ingredients that otherwise wouldn’t remain in suspension. VG has a sweet flavour, so some companies use it in their edible products as a sugar-free sweetener. PG and VG both inhibit the reproduction of some types of bacteria.
How Does Propylene Glycol Affect an E-Liquid?An e-liquid made solely with PG:
- Will produce thin, wispy vapour clouds that disappear quickly
- Will have a sparse, watery mouth feel
- Will have a well-defined flavour because PG adds little flavour of its own
- Will have a pronounced, cigarette-like throat hit
- Will flow freely through a tank with small wick openings
- Will vaporize easily in a small, low-heat e-cigarette
How Does Vegetable Glycerine Affect an E-Liquid?An e-liquid made solely with VG:
- Will produce thick vapour clouds that hover in the air for some time before disappearing
- Will have a thick, creamy mouth feel
- Will have a slightly muddled flavour due to the sweetness that VG adds
- Will have a weaker, smoother throat hit
- Will flow freely through a tank with large wick openings
- Will vaporize easily in a large, high-heat e-cigarette